Last Updated: June 30, 2023
- when we communicate with you by offline channels, such as when you provide your information to our call centers or in person (collectively, including the Site, e-mail, and offline channels, referred to as the “Services”).
- When you use our products and service that we may collect data on the use of our product.
Collection and Use of Personal Data
Personal data is information that can be used to directly or indirectly identify you. Personal data also includes anonymous data that is linked to information that can be used to directly or indirectly identify you. Personal data does not include data that has been irreversibly anonymized or aggregated so that it can no longer enable us, whether in combination with other information or otherwise, to identify you.
Promoting Safety and Security
We abide by the principles of legality, legitimacy, and transparency, and use, and we endeavor to process the least data within a limited scope of purpose, and take technical and administrative measures to protect the security of the data. We use personal data to help verify accounts and user activity, as well as to promote safety and security, such as by monitoring fraud and investigating suspicious or potentially illegal activity or violations of our terms or policies. Such processing is based on our legitimate interest in helping ensure the safety of our products and services.
What Personal Data We Collect
The types of personal data we may collect include:
Data you provide:
We may collect the personal data you provide when you use our products and services or otherwise interact with us, such as when you create an account, contact us, participate in an online survey.
Data about use of our services and products:
When you visit our Site/application, we may collect data about the type of device you use, your device’s unique identifier, the IP address of your device, your operating system, the type of Internet browser that you use, usage information, diagnostic information, and location information from or about the computers, phones, or other devices on which you install or access our products or services. Where available, our services may use GPS, your IP address, and other technologies to determine a device’s approximate location to allow us to improve our products and services.
Special note regarding third-party services and SDKs:
Autel’s products and services may incorporate third-party products and services, which may involve payment, location services, and other types of functionalities. These third-party offerings could be provided through links to external websites or accessed through SDKs (software development kits), APIs (application programming interfaces), and similar means. It’s important to note that when you utilize these third-party products and services, your information may also be collected.
How We Use Your Personal Data
Generally speaking, we use personal data to provide, improve, and develop our products and services, to communicate with you, to offer you targeted advertisements and services, and to protect us and our customers.
Providing, improving, and developing our products and services:
We use personal data to help us provide, improve, and develop our products, services, and advertising. This includes using personal data for purposes such as data analysis, research, and audits. Such processing is based on our legitimate interest in offering you products and services and for business continuity. If you enter a contest, or other promotion, we may use the personal data you provide to administer those programs. Some of those activities have additional rules, which may contain further data about how we use personal data, so we encourage you to read those rules carefully before participating.
Communicating with you:
Subject to your prior express consent, we may use personal data to send you marketing communications in relation to our own products and services, communicate with you about your account or transactions, and inform you about our policies and terms. If you no longer wish to receive email communications for marketing purposes, please contact us to opt-out. We also may use your data to process and respond to your requests when you contact us. Subject to your prior express consent, we may share your personal data with third party partners who may send you marketing communications in relation to their products and services. Subject to your prior express consent, we may use personal data to personalize your experience with our products and services and on third-party websites and applications and to determine the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns.
We also may combine your data with other data about you obtained from other sources (both online and offline), such as from third parties and public sources. For example, if your browser settings permit cookies, we may use the social media platforms’ data analytics and advertising tools to obtain personal data about you unrelated to your web traffic on our Site, such as your demographics, interests, and other characteristics, to use for research and analytical purposes, as well as for targeted or online behavioral advertising on other websites.
NOTE: For any of the uses of your data described above that require your prior express consent, note that you may withdraw your consent by contacting us.
Definition of “Cookies”
Cookies are small pieces of text used to store information on web browsers. Cookies are widely used to store and receive identifiers and other information on computers, phones, and other devices. We also use other technologies, including data we store on your web browser or device, identifiers associated with your device, and other software, for similar purposes. We refer to all of these technologies as “cookies.”
Use of Web Beacons
We use technology known as “web beacons” to collect web information. A “web beacon” is an object that is embedded in a web page. It is usually invisible to you but allows site operators to check whether you have viewed a particular web page or e-mail communication. We may place web beacons on pages of the Site. You may not decline web beacons. However, they may be rendered ineffective by not providing your consent to such tracking, declining all cookies or modifying your browser setting to notify you each time a cookie is tendered and permit you to accept or decline cookies on an individual basis.
We use data analytics companies, advertising networks, or social media companies, and features offered by data analytics services to engage in “cross-device tracking,” which occurs when platforms, publishers, and advertising technology companies try to connect a consumer’s activity across smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, and other connected devices. The goal of cross-device tracking is to enable companies to link a consumer’s behavior across devices.
Disclosure of Personal Data
We make certain personal data available to strategic partners that work with us to provide our products and services or help us market to customers. Personal data will only be shared by us with these companies in order to provide or improve our products, services, and advertising; it will not be shared with third parties for their own marketing purposes without your prior express consent.
We may share your personal data for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by a third party or us (to the extent it does not infringe on any data subject’s fundamental rights and freedoms). For example, we may collect your identifiers, social media details, feedback, call recordings and chat logs, and log details in order to:
- Ensure that content from our Site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- Allow you to participate in interactive features of our Services (when you choose to do so).
- Keep our Services safe and secure.
- Provide you with technical support and to improve our Services.
- Provide you with information that you have requested and respond to your inquiries.
- Notify you about changes to our Services.
- If you are an existing customer, to communicate (including by email and SMS) with you to provide information about goods and services similar to those that were the subject of a previous sale or negotiations of a sale to you.
- Subject to applicable law and regulations, in the event of a sale, merger, consolidation, change in control, transfer of substantial assets, reorganization, or liquidation, to transfer, sell, or assign to third parties information concerning your relationship with us, including, without limitation, personal data that you provide and other information concerning your relationship with us.
Data Disclosure or Storage, Transfer, and Processing
Autel U.S. Inc. is headquartered in the U.S.A., and we process and store the information we collect from you, regardless of your location, in the U.S.A. If you are based outside the U.S.A., we transfer your personal information to, and process your personal information on, servers located in the U.S.A., a jurisdiction that may not provide equivalent levels of data protection as your home jurisdiction. Such transfers and processing of your personal information are necessary to provide our Services. We provide adequate protection for the transfer of personal data in accordance with applicable law, such as by obtaining your consent, relying on the European Commission’s adequacy decisions, or executing Standard Contractual Clauses. You may write to to request a copy of the Standard Contractual Clauses we use to facilitate the transfer of data outside the European Economic Area.
Residents of UK and Europe:
- Autel is responsible for your personal information If you are a resident of the United Kingdom or the European Economic Area (“EEA”), Autel Europe GmbH provides our Services to you and is responsible for your personal information when you use our Services.
- Legal Basis for Processing We process your personal information described above:
- As necessary to fulfill our responsibilities under our contract with you (e.g., processing payments for and providing the products you have ordered);
- As necessary for our legitimate interests, including our interest in providing relevant and secure Services and improving our Services and products;
- As necessary to comply with our legal obligations; or
- As consistent with your consent, which you may revoke at any time.
- Exercising your Rights You have the right to access personal information we hold about you and to ask that your personal information be corrected or erased and to port your personal information. You may also have the right to object to, or request that we restrict, certain processing or to withdraw consent you have previously provided. If you would like to exercise any of these rights, you may contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Questions or Complaints If you have a concern about our processing of your personal information that we are not able to resolve, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Data Protection Authority where you reside. Contact details for your Data Protection Authority can be found using the links below:
For individuals in the EEA: https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en
For individuals in the UK: https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/
We take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal data is accurate, complete, and up to date. You have the right to access, correct, or request that we delete the personal data that we collect. You are also entitled to restrict or object, at any time, to the further processing of your personal data. You have the right to receive your personal data in a structured and standard format. You may lodge a complaint with the competent data protection authority regarding the processing of your personal data. To protect the privacy and the security of your personal data, we may request data from you to enable us to confirm your identity and right to access such data, as well as to search for and provide you with the personal data we maintain. There are instances where applicable laws or regulatory requirements allow or require us to refuse to provide or delete some or all of the personal data that we maintain. You may contact us to exercise your rights. We will respond to your request in a reasonable timeframe, and in any event in less than 30 days.
Third-Party Websites and Services
Data Security, Integrity, and Retention
California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, California law gives you certain rights concerning your personal data. You have the right to:
- Request that we disclose what personal data we collect, use, disclose, and sell, including the right to request that we provide to you the specific pieces of personal data we have collected about you in the prior 12 months (“right to know”).
- Request the deletion of your personal data collected or maintained by us. We may not be able to fulfill your request if we (or our service providers) are required to retain your personal data for one or more of the following reasons:
- Transactional: to complete a transaction for which the personal data was collected, provide a good or service requested by you, or perform a contract we have with you;
- Security: to detect data security incidents;
- Error Correction: to debug or repair any errors;
- Legal: to protect against fraud or illegal activity or to comply with applicable law or a legal obligation, or exercise rights under the law, such as the right to free speech; or
- Internal Use: to use your personal data, internally, in a lawful manner that is compatible with the context in which you provided the information (i.e. to improve our services).
- Request not to receive discriminatory treatment by us for the exercise of the privacy rights conferred by the CCPA.
- Request to opt-out of the sale of your personal information.
To make any such request, you or your authorized agent may:
- Call us at: (855) 288-3587
- Submit the request by sending an email to: email@example.com
Before we can fulfill your request, we need to verify your identity or your agent’s authority to make the request and confirm the personal data relates to you.
Only you or your authorized agent acting on your behalf have the ability to make a request related to your personal data. If you personally make the request, Autel will require you to provide us with certain information in order to verify that you are the person about whom we have information.
If you have an authorized agent who makes the request, you must submit either (i) proof of power of attorney or (ii) a written and signed declaration or affidavit demonstrating that your agent has the authority to act on your behalf, along with information from you to verify your identity through the ordinary verification process.
Please note that if we cannot verify your identity, we are not obligated to fulfill your request. Once we have verified your identity, we will fulfill your request.
If you have submitted a request to know, we may give you specific pieces of personal data we collected about you and provide you with an individualized response about how we have collected, used, and disclosed your personal information. For the specific pieces of personal data, we will provide such information electronically (or, if you are unable to receive such information electronically, by mail at your request) in a readily useable format that allows you to transmit the information from one entity to another entity without hindrance.
You have the right to opt out of the sale of your personal information, as defined in the CCPA. The term “sale” is defined broadly under the California Consumer Privacy Act. Autel discloses some personal information to third parties that may constitute a “sale” within the meaning of the CCPA. To the extent that “sale” under the CCPA is interpreted to include interest-based advertising or other data uses described herein, we will comply with applicable law as to those activities.
To stop receiving interest-based advertising and other similar uses, please submit your request to: firstname.lastname@example.org
In the past 12 months, Autel has collected certain categories of personal information about consumers and disclosed for a business purpose or sold some of the categories of personal information. The following chart identifies the categories of personal information that Autel has collected, and the categories of third parties to whom Autel has disclosed or sold the information:
How to Contact Autel
Privacy and security is important to us all. We will continually monitor customer feedback and seek to improve our services to meet your needs.
For EU and UK residents: Should you have any questions or concerns about this policy and our privacy practices, you may contact our Data Privacy Coordinator at: email@example.com